COVID-19 & THE MIGRANT COMMUNITY
East Oakland DREAMers is committed to supporting the migrant community in the bay area by bridging together community resources, information, and funds.
If you are worried about the financial stability of your household, we have a checklist of suggested next steps.
- Contact your landlord to ask about temporarily reducing or deferring your rent. Currently, landlords are not allowed to evict people for rent non-payment that is related to COVID-19 or the shelter-in-place order (through May 31). There may be more protections put in place soon.
- Contact PG&E and ask for a payment plan if you cannot pay your utilities. Service disconnections are currently halted.
- Contact your internet/phone providers to ask for a payment plan or deferral. Most internet/phone providers are not disconnecting lines and providing unlimited data for the next 60 days.
- Access food pantries and school district food pick ups.
- If you have DACA, TPS, asylum/refugee, or visa status, consider applying for unemployment. We have conflicting information about how this might impact a future change of status through public charge, so double check with your lawyer or clinic if you are concerned!
- Go through our 1 pager (geared toward migrant folks) for updates on other funding opportunities (and for more info on the steps above).
- Questions or worries? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
National Day Laborer Organizing Network (currently fundraising for another undoc relief fund)
2-1-1 for immediate food/shelter needs
COVID-19 Rapid Relief Fund for Oakland Students and Schools will likely have funding for individuals as well.